Mel Cheong (Cheong Hoi I)
People are special individuals, but capitalism created a nihilistic worldview that only money exists. By participating in this social game, people gradually lose their humane instinct as in pursuing the true happiness in life – making a society that goes in a repeated loop without any breakthrough. Thus, it is important to understand oneself. One can achieve the results from learning and comparing with each other, with people in the history who laid down ideas and visions through art and culture. Through art revelation – the process of appreciation, expression and dissection, Mel found her way to understand herself and exchanging her ideas and visions with people who shares the same moment she does.
These ideas set up as a base for us to make a better and sophisticated self. Mel’s pursuit in questioning the moment allows her to continue in exploring the relationship between herself and her art.
Mel started as a designer and then shifted to develop herself in art. She won the Artist in Residence Award in the “6th Evora International Printmaking Competition” in 2009 and also held her first solo exhibition “Last Portrait” in the same year.
Mel uses a journalistic view to observe the ever-changing world and compares her surroundings to judge and understand herself. These observations and ideas are expressed in her art. Mel graduated from the University of Macau, majoring in Communications. She is now teaching Mokuhanga Class at the Macau Art Museum.
- Solo Exhibition “A Presence of Mind,” Studio Kura, Fukuoka, Japan
- Solo Exhibition “Circus,” Mount Fortress Corridor, Macau
- Solo Exhibition “My New Life” in the “7th Evora International Printmaking Festival,” Palacio de Manuel, Evora, Portugal
- Solo Exhibition “Last Portrait,” Center for Creative Industries, Macau
- International Mokuhanga Exhibition 2014, University of Tokyo, Japan
- 1st Macau Printmaking Triennial, Old Court Building, Macau
- 2012 Seeking Creators in Aesthetics of Living to Experience the Japanese-Style Houses, Gold Museum, New Taipei City Government, Taiwan
- AFA Autumn Salon, Oriental Foundation, Macau
- SKY-2011 Asia Plate & Print Exhibition, Kuandu Museum of Fine Arts, Taipei National University of the Arts, Taiwan
- Hong Kong Graphics Art Fiesta 2010: Convergence / Divergence, Jockey Club Creative Arts Centre, Hong Kong
- Macau Modern Printmaking Exhibition, Macau Art Museum
- Artist in Residence Exhibition, Teoartis, Evora, Portugal
- Macau Modern Printmaking Exhibition, Office of the Macao Special Administrative Region in Beijing, Beijing, China
- Tsuzurakai Exhibition, Municipal Museum of Art, Kyoto, Japan
- Macau Contemporary Printmaking Exhibition, Be-Kyoto Gallery, Kyoto, Japan
- Group Exhibitions from 2007 – 2009, Center for Creative Industries, Macau
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Selected Work in the “International Mokuhanga Exhibition 2014,” University of Tokyo, Japan
- Selected Work in the “1st Macau Printmaking Triennial,” Macau Cultural Institute
- Artist in Residence Award in the “2012 Seeking Creators in Aesthetics of Living to Experience the Japanese-Style Houses” program, Gold Museum, New Taipei City Government, Taiwan
- Artist in Residence Award in the “6th Evora International Printmaking Competition,” Teoartis, Evora, Portugal
- Consolation Prize in the “Happiness Bag” Graphic Design Competition, Caritas Macau
- Third Prize in the “Humorous Macao” Photography Competition, University of Macau
RELATED NEWS AND ARTICLES
- Opening of “A Presence of Mind” Exhibition in Fukuoka (2014)
- Macau Artists Participating in Tokyo’s International Mokuhanga Exhibition (2014)
- Macau DSE: “Copyright Law Promotion Video” (2011)